Saturday, September 12, 2009

Remembering September 11, 2001


It was one of those crisp, sunny, nearly perfect September mornings. I was working at Sears in Evansville that day. Sometimes I would listen to the morning news as I prepared myself for work, both mentally and physically. Those of you you have worked in sales know what I'm talking about. Then those images flashed across the television screen. I still remember them as the planes hit the twin towers and then the Pentagon.

They say you always remember what you were doing when events like these happen. Believe it or not, I remember what I was doing when John Kennedy was assassinated. I was at recess in third grade at Oakdale Elementary. The teacher called us inside and gave us the news. I remember the live black and white images on our television. I remember watching the funeral procession with my parents as most people were not working the day of the President's funeral.


Flashing back to September 11, 2001, I remember some other things also in the weeks after that day.. I remember that the late night comedians weren't hurling the usual crude humor at us. I remember American flags everywhere as people showed their support for our country. Words like God and prayer were even mentioned by the nightly newscasters. Party politics were set aside for a while as senators and congressmen and women came together as one voice. The new President that so many of the comedians had been making fun of amazed many with his leadership. It didn't matter whether or not his grammer was as polished as some. The nation listened to the message he gave the world as terrorists around the world realized there was a new sheriff in town. Those in the military were heroes once again.

Then a few weeks passed...The comedians gradually started telling their jokes again. We didn't hear so much about God, prayer, and love of country from those in mainstream media. The American flags started coming down one by one in our towns and across America. Shades of Viet Nam come to mind when the media discussed those returning from war and offered their "expert" advice. Experts came out of the woodwork as it seemed that anyone who had ever been a miltary commander was now on the payroll of big media. ...How soon we forget. We forget that God still loves us and is still in control, even when the world is falling apart all around .We as a nation forget about the One who made the ultimate sacrifice that we might live...forever...God bless-keith 1 Cor 13

No comments: